Drip cakes are all the rage at the moment for parties, so why not try your own hand at making one! They are a simple way to have a cake with a bit of wow factor.
- 250g unsalted butter, softened (for cake) and 500g unsalted butter, softened for buttercream icing
- 2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ cup plain flour, sifted
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 500g dark choc melts
- 2/3 cup thickened cream
- To Decorate: Fresh strawberries or fruit, or different chocolate bars, the options are endless!
- 6 cups icing sugar mixture for the icing
Steps to Make:
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Grease the base and side of two 20cm round cake pans and line with baking paper.Beat butter, sugar and vanilla with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in flours and milk in two batches.
2. Spread mixture into prepared pans. Bake for 50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, for the buttercream, beat butter with electric beaters for 5-8 minutes until light and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, a spoon at a time, beating until combined. Add 2 tbs boiling water. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Trim tops of cakes so they are flat, then split cakes in half horizontally. Place base of one cake on a plate and spread top with ½ cup buttercream. Top with another layer of cake. Repeat, finishing with upside-down base of second cake. Spread buttercream over top and side of the cake. Place in fridge for 30 minutes until buttercream sets firm.
5. Meanwhile, add choc melts and cream to a saucepan over very low heat. Stir constantly until chocolate is melted and smooth. Allow to cool and thicken slightly, then pour over the chilled cake, allowing it to dribble over the side a little. Make sure you are careful with how much you allow to spill over the sides, as you want it to slowly drip, and stop part of the way down the sides. Top with chocolate-dipped strawberries, or with different chocolate bars, or create your own topper!